Tie Dye is back! The long standing Summer Camp activity is now all over our athleisure, our children’s clothes and everywhere in between. This can be a fun activity to do with kids too! Here is everything you need to tie dye at home.
What you’ll need:
100% Cotton white shirts (or garment/item of choice!)
Tulip Tie Dye kit (this one makes it super easy!!)
Plastic Bags for each item OR plastic wrap
Steps to Tie Dye the Clothes/items:
1) Pre-wash the clothes to remove sizing. If you’re using a wet technique, you can dye the clothes straight from the washing machine. If using dry technique, don’t use fabric softener or dryer sheets when drying clothes.
2) Put on rubber gloves and fill dye bottles with water to desired line. Shake carefully making sure the top is covered.
3) Tie on the rubber bands. You can find info on techniques here, or you can always make your own. Wherever the band is tied tightly will stay white.
4) Apply the dye.
5) Put the garment in a plastic bag/plastic wrap for 6-8 hours.
6) Remove garment from bag and run under water in the sink until water runs clear. Wash garment in washing machine on hottest setting for the material.
Wash & Dry tie dyed garment separately for the first few washes
Take the process outside. This will help with cleanup and mess!
Wear old clothes while tie dyeing
Consider adding a fun applique to your finished shirt, like these cute stars